Passport applications for persons over the age of 18
Biometric passports can only be applied for in person since fingerprints are required. It is no longer possible to extend existing passports. Biometric passports are printed at the Federal Printing Office in Berlin.
The following is required for an application:
(Please provide the original and one photocopy per document)
- Application form
- Current Passport
- Full (‘unabridged’) Birth certificate (if in another language, please also provide a translation into German or English)); foreign documents must be legalized
- Marriage certificate/extract of German family book, if applicable (if in another language, please provide a German or English translation of the certificate)
- Confirmation of name declaration, if applicable (see below for more information)
- German naturalisation certificate, if applicable
- PHD certificate, if applicable and if you wish to have your title (“Dr”) entered in the passport
- De-registration form (‘Abmeldebestätigung’) from your last local authority (only applicable if the last place of residence was in Germany or if a German place of residence is still shown in the passport)
Recent proof of address in Rwanda (e.g. utility bill or bank statement)
- Two recent, identical, biometric passport photos with a bright background.
- Fingerprints for biometric passports, to be taken at the time of application
Due to organizational reasons, the waiting time for visa appointments is expected to be longer than usual until the end of October. Inquiries that reach us in this regard will not be answered. Special appointments are not available.