Biometric passports can only be applied for in person since fingerprints are required. It is no longer possible to extend existing passports. Biometric passports are printed at the Federal Printing Office in Berlin.
You can keep your existing passport during processing time, if you need to travel and the passport is still valid.
Biometric passports issued to applicants under 24 are valid for 6 years; for applicants over 24 the validity is 10 years.
The following is required for an application:
(Please provide the original and one photocopy per document)
- Application form
- Current Passport
- Full (‘unabridged’) Birth certificate (if in another language, please also provide a translation into German or English)
- Marriage certificate/extract of German family book, if applicable (if in another language, please provide a German or English translation of the certificate)
- Confirmation of name declaration, if applicable (see below for more information)
- German naturalisation certificate, if applicable
- PHD certificate, if applicable and if you wish to have your title (“Dr”) entered in the passport
- De-registration form (‘Abmeldebestätigung’) from your last local authority (only applicable if the last place of residence was in Germany or if a German place of residence is still shown in the passport)
Recent proof of address in Rwanda (e.g. utility bill or bank statement)
- Two recent, identical, biometric passport photos with a bright background.
- Fingerprints for biometric passports, to be taken at the time of application