Registration of a child’s birth

schlafendes Baby

schlafendes Baby, © Deutsche Botschaft Kigali / Laryea


If you want to apply for a German birth certificate for your child you have to register the birth in Germany.

If you want to apply for a German birth certificate for your child you have to register the birth in Germany.

In German law a child whose parents are married at the time of the child’s birth and who bear a married name (Ehename) will obtain the parents’ married name as birth name. In cases where the parents are married, but do not have a married name, or when the parents are not married and another name as the mother’s surname is desired as the child’s surname, the parents will have to make a name declaration as part of the birth registration. Please refer to our “name declaration” leaflet for further information.

If a name declaration is not required, the birth registration can be made by either of the parents alone.

In order to hand in the birth registration application for your child and if you live in Rwanda, please book an appointment via phone or through our contact form below.

If you are not sure whether a name declaration for your child is needed in your case please contact the Embassy.

The following documents are required as originals with one photocopy each:

  • Duly filled application for registration of a child’s birth,
  • Valid passports for both parents
  • Birth certificates of both parents (Rwandan Certificates must be legalized by the German Embassy)
  • Child’s birth certificate (“acte de naissance”) - stating the parents’ names (Rwandan Certificates must be legalized by the German Embassy)
  • If you wish to make a choice of law declaration (also refer to name declaration), proof that the child bears the intended name under the law of the respective country (passport or birth certificate issued by the authorities of that country)
  • If you are married: your marriage certificate (Rwandan Certificates must be legalized by the German Embassy)
  • If applicable divorce decree absolute for divorcees
  • Naturalization certificate for naturalized German nationals or „Staatsangehörigkeitsausweis“ if you have one
  • Translations of foreign language documents into either German or English

Depending on the case more documents may become necessary or can be requested by the Standesamt (Registrar) in Germany at a later date.

The fee for the name declaration is around 22,500 RWF (25,00 EUR). Please note that we can only accept cash payments in Rwandan Francs. However, due to exchange rate fluctuations the fee may change slightly without further notice. In addition the German Embassy have to charge a fee of around 9,000 RWF (10,00 EUR) for the certification of the photocopies required by the Registrar.

Your application will then be forwarded to the competent Registrar (Standesamt) in Germany, where it will be processed. The Standesamt (Registrar) in Germany will charge a fee for initiating the procedure and issuing the birth certificate. The fee amounts to about 70-120 EUR. You will have to pay the fee directly to the Registrar's Office in Germany.

Please note that the Embassy cannot predict how long this process will take. Processing times may vary considerably depending on the complexity of the case and the individual Registrar’s Office.

This page provides information for most routine cases presented to the Embassy. Due to the complexity of the German name law and the multitude of conceivable case scenarios each individual case may have to be treated differently. This leaflet is therefore meant only as an orientation and neither substitutes legal advice based on a detailed case nor does it foreclose the decision of the registrar, which remains reserved in all cases. Should your case not be covered please contact the Embassy via the e-mail address mentioned above.

Top of page