- Basic information (also application form) can be found on our website here.
- Documents not in the German, English or French language must be submitted with a certified translation. A translation of the personal data page of the passport is, however, not required.
- Certificates, diplomas, etc. must be presented in the original with apostille/legalisation. Your original documents will be returned to you once your application has been processed.
- As a rule, visa applications must be approved by the relevant foreigners authority in Germany. The visa can only be issued when this approval has been received.
- Processing time is as a rule ca. 8-10 weeks but can take longer in individual cases.
- Flight reservations are not required to apply for a visa – please only book when you have received your visa.
- The mission abroad reserves the right to request further documents.
- Missing documentation delays the procedure and can result in your application being rejected.
- Please do not contact the mission abroad to check the status of your application during the normal processing period. Such inquiries are extremely time-consuming for the visa section and can thus not be answered.
Use the following checklist to make sure your application documents are complete. All documents listed here are to be submitted in full in the requested form and order with every application!
Provide the copies in two identical piles.
- Two (2) fully completed and signed applications including declarations pursuant to Section 54 Residence Act
- Where applicable, two (2) declarations fully completed and signed regarding contact details and power of attorney
- Two (2) recent biometric passport photos
- Valid passport (personally signed and with at least two (2) completely empty pages)
- Two (2) uncertified copies of the data page of your valid passport
Contract/Arrangement on your voluntary service in Germany:
- Federal Voluntary Service (BFD): Your contract must be signed by you and the Federal Office of Family Affairs and Civil Society Functions (BAFzA), as well as the placement department, headquarters and, where applicable, by the institution implementing the voluntary service.
- Voluntary Social Year (FSJ)/Voluntary Ecological Year (FOJ): Your contract must be signed by you and the respective institution, as well as, where applicable, the placement department.
- European Voluntary Service (EVS): Your contract must be signed by the National Agency for Erasmus+ Youth in Action and the coordinating organisation. The Volunteer Arrangement in which the tasks and planned participant achievements are described must be signed by the coordinating organisation and the volunteer.
Personally drafted complete curriculum vitae, detailing in particular training to date and, where applicable, periods of employment with one (1) copy
Letter of motivation with one (1) copy detailing expectations of planned stay and anticipated career and personal benefits, as well as future plans
Only for BFD/FSJ/FÖJ: Confirmation by the placement department/institution that no language skills are required initially or that you can acquire language skills by attending a language course after entry (otherwise: note for the mission abroad to request proof of basic knowledge of the German language when visa application is submitted). with two (2) copies
Health insurance in line with EU standards (covering the entire Schengen area, minimum coverage of 30,000 €, valid from the day of entry until start of voluntary service); with two (2) copies
Proof of adequate financial means
(As a rule, the sponsoring organisation covers accommodation and food costs. If the contract or other confirmation provided by the respective department does not provide information on your accommodation and meals, please provide additional proof that you can support yourself.) with two (2) copies
Applicant of a nationality other than Rwandan
- Proof of habitual abode by “residence permit/visa”
- Processing fee of 75 €. Payable cash in RWF.
Please fill this form out till the end.
Printable Version of the checklist “Visa for volunteers”
Due to organizational reasons, the waiting time for visa appointments is expected to be longer than usual until the end of October. Inquiries that reach us in this regard will not be answered. Special appointments are not available.