- Basic information (also application form) can be found on our website here.
- Documents not in the German language must be submitted with a certified translation. A translation of the personal data page of the passport is, however, not required.
- Certificates, diplomas, etc. must be presented in the original with apostille/legalisation. Your original documents will be returned to you once your application has been processed.
The visa must be approved by the Federal Employment Agency and, where applicable, the competent foreigners authority. The visa can only be issued when this approval has been received.
- Processing time is as a rule ca. 8-10 weeks but can take longer in individual cases.
- Flight reservations are not required to apply for a visa – please only book when you have received your visa.
- The mission abroad reserves the right to request further documents.
- Missing documentation delays the procedure and can result in your application being rejected.
- Please do not contact the mission abroad to check the status of your application during the normal processing period. Such inquiries are extremely time-consuming for the visa section and can thus not be answered.
Use the following checklist to make sure your application documents are complete. All documents listed here are to be submitted in the requested form and order.
The following documents are to be submitted in full with every application!
- Two (2) fully completed and signed applications including declarations pursuant to Section 54 Residence Act
- Where applicable, two (2) declarations fully completed and signed regarding contact details and power of attorney
- Two (2) recent biometric passport photos
- Valid passport (personally signed and with at least two (2) completely empty pages)
- Two (2) uncertified copies of the data page of your valid passport
Signed au-pair contract based on the specimen contract published by the Federal Employment Agency (original and two (2) copies) A printout or fax copy will be accepted if the au-pair post was offered through an agency with RAL Gütezeichen (Quality Mark)
Personally drafted complete curriculum vitae, detailing in particular training to date and, where applicable, periods of employment with one (1) copy
Letter of motivation with one (1) copy detailing expectations of planned stay and anticipated career and personal benefits, as well as future plans
Residence registration certificate of the guest family (original and two (2) copies)
Where available: Proof of qualification, for example, diplomas, certificates, work log with translation (original and two (2) copies)
Proof of German language skills at A1 level in the form of a recognised language diploma (original and two (2) copies)
Health insurance in line with EU standards (to cover taking up residence in Germany and valid for the entire Schengen area, minimum coverage of 30,000 €, valid from the day of entry for the entire stay);
Proof of adequate financial means
(as a rule in the form of the au-pair contract)
Applicant of a nationality other than Rwandan
- Proof of habitual abode by “residence permit/visa”
- Processing fee of 75 €. Payable cash in RWF.