- Basic Information can be found on our website here.
- Documents not in the German, English or French language must be submitted with a certified translation. A translation of the personal data page of the passport is, however, not required.
- Rwandan certificates. must be presented in the original and legalized. Your original documents will be returned to you once your application has been processed.
- As a rule, visa applications must be approved by the relevant foreigners authority in Germany. The visa can only be issued when this approval has been received.
- Processing time is as a rule ca. 8-10 weeks but can take longer in individual cases.
- Flight reservations are not required to apply for a visa – please only book when you have received your visa.
- The mission abroad reserves the right to request further documents.
- Missing documentation delays the procedure and can result in your application being rejected.
- Please do not contact the mission abroad to check the status of your application during the normal processing period. Such inquiries are extremely time-consuming for the visa section and can thus not be answered.
Use the following checklist to make sure your application documents are complete. All documents listed here are to be submitted in full in the requested form and order with every application!
- Two (2) fully completed and signed applications, signed by both parents
- Where applicable, two (2) declarations fully completed and signed regarding contact details and power of attorney
Two (2) copies of the passport of both parents
Two (2) copies of the residence permit if spouse is not a German national
Two (2) recent biometric passport photos
- Valid passport (personally signed and with at least two (2) completely empty pages)
- Two (2) uncertified copies of the data page of your valid passport
Original legalized birth certificate and two (2) copies (“acte de naissance & jugement suppletif” when birth before 2016) (please note: “attestation de naissance” is not accepted)
if applicable: Original legalized original marriage certificate (“acte de ma-riage”) of the parents and two (2) copie
If applicable: legalized proof of change of custody (e.g. court order, docu-ments about adoption, death certificate of parent)
Confirmation letter by the mother/father explaining the situation and containing the address where the applicant will stay together in Germany and copy
If applicable: Legalized acknowledgement of paternity and two (2) copies
If one parent stays in Rwanda: authorization for resettlement of child and two (2) copies
If the applicant is 16 years or older: Original proof of German language skills: (equivalent A1 level of Goethe Institute). and two (2) copies
Proof of adequate health insurance cover (medical and travel insurance) and two (2) copies
If the parent in Germany is not German national, EU citizen:
Tenancy contract, two (2) copies
Proof of financial means: two (2) copies
- work contract
- pay-slips of at least the last 3 months
- and bank statements of at least the last 3 months
Applicant of a nationality other than Rwandan
- Proof of habitual abode by “residence permit/visa”
Processing fee of 40€. Payable cash in RWF.