- Basic Information can be found on our website here.
- Documents not in the German, English or French language must be submitted with a certified translation. A translation of the personal data page of the passport is, however, not required.
- Certificates, diplomas, etc. must be presented in the original with apostille/legalisation. Your original documents will be returned to you once your application has been processed.
- As a rule, visa applications must be approved by the relevant foreigners authority in Germany. The visa can only be issued when this approval has been received.
- Processing time is as a rule ca. 8-10 weeks but can take longer in individual cases.
- Flight reservations are not required to apply for a visa – please only book when you have received your visa.
- The mission abroad reserves the right to request further documents.
- Missing documentation delays the procedure and can result in your application being rejected.
- Please do not contact the mission abroad to check the status of your application during the normal processing period. Such inquiries are extremely time-consuming for the visa section and can thus not be answered.
Use the following checklist to make sure your application documents are complete. All documents listed here are to be submitted in the requested form and order.
The following documents are to be submitted in full with every application!
- Two (2) fully completed and signed applications including declarations pursuant to Section 54 Residence Act
- Where applicable, two (2) declarations fully completed and signed regarding contact details and power of attorney
- Two (2) recent biometric passport photos
- Valid passport (personally signed and with at least two (2) completely empty pages)
- Two (2) uncertified copies of the data page of your valid passport
- Notification of admittance to study for a doctorate or for a doctorate programme (original and two (2) copies) including information on the language of instruction
- Certificates of other academic qualifications (original and two (2) copies)
- Curriculum vitae with one (1) extra copy
- Letter of motivation with one (1) extra copy
- Where not confirmed by the university in the admittance notification: Proof of the language skills in the language of instruction for the study course or the preparatory course (without a preparatory language course as a rule at least B2 in the language of instruction) (original and two (2) copies)
- Proof of adequate financial means
- To stay in Germany the applicant must have at their disposal at least 861 € per month. Proof must be submitted with the application of financial means for at least one year, that is at least 10,332 € (for example, in the form of a blocked account or a formal undertaking by a third person to cover all costs).
- In the case of financing in the form of a blocked account: Open the blocked account in good time BEFORE you apply for a visa. When applying for a visa, only the official confirmation of the opening of the account including information on the amount paid in and the amount available per month will be accepted. A confirmation which does not include this information is not sufficient.
- Proof of adequate health insurance cover
- If as a student you want to take out statutory health insurance, you must bear in mind that this insurance can only begin when you take up residence in Germany and after enrolment. If you enter Germany beforehand, private health insurance must be taken out for the period prior to enrolment and registering for statutory health insurance. In its terms and conditions, travel health insurance can exclude protection if a long-term or permanent stay is planned. So-called incoming travel insurance can also contain such exclusions.
In the case of preparatory language course or internship:
- Acceptance for preparatory language course or internship
Applicant of a nationality other than Rwandan
- Proof of habitual abode by “residence permit/visa”
Processing fee of 75 €. Payable cash in RWF.
Please fill this form out till the end.
Printable Version of the checklist.
Due to organizational reasons, the waiting time for visa appointments is expected to be longer than usual until the end of October. Inquiries that reach us in this regard will not be answered. Special appointments are not available.